Do you want to write a guest post for Firepole Marketing?
If you do, then you’ll be in good company – we’ve some super–successful posts from guest authors, and we’d be happy to consider publishing your post here as well!
Please note: If your pitch does not adhere to these guidelines, you will not receive a response.
If you’ve read the guidelines thoroughly and are ready to submit your pitch, go ahead and send it over to editor (at) firepolemarketing (dot) com (not a link – type it in yourself). Please make the subject of your email: GUEST POST PITCH: [SUGGESTED TITLE]
- It’s really good. Seriously, our standards here are high, and some guest posters go through 2-3 rounds of revisions. But if you’ve got a good idea, we’re happy to work with you until the post is ready.
- It’s original. Duh – if it’s been published anywhere else, we don’t want it.
- It’s relevant to our topic and audience. By which we mean “connecting, engaging and inspiring” for entrepreneurs and small business owners in the 0-10 employee range. Read Danny’s Timeless Marketing Wisdom from Shakespeare and Lao Tzu post for more insight into who this blog is for.
- Please make sure it fits within one of these 5 categories:
- Strategy & Positioning
- Traffic & Growth
- Audience & Engagement
- Selling & Launching
- It’s “meaty” enough to be useful. We don’t have word limits or requirements – the post should be as long as it needs to be, and no longer. That being said, it’s rare to be able to squeeze much substance into less than 800-900 words, and most of our posts are in the range of 1,200-1,500 words. There are exceptions, though – focus on writing a good post, not on meeting word count requirements.
- Make sure you’re OK with our timelines. We plan our editorial calendar several months in advance, and there are a lot of people who want to guest post with us. What this means is that while we’re happy to publish your post (if it’s good), it may take several months for it to be scheduled. Make sure you’re okay with that before proceeding.
How to Pitch
- Read our most popular posts to see what our audience responds well to (if you’re new to Firepole Marketing, you’ll have to dig through the blog to find them – but you should get familiar with the blog before writing for us anyway).
- Send us an email about your idea. Just the idea – not the finished post. Please include:
- Two to three possible headlines for your idea
- An outline with subheads and a brief description for each
- Links to 2 posts on Firepole Marketing that indicate to you that YOUR post will be a success based on audience response
- Tell us which of the 5 categories listed above is best for your post.
- We will either approve the idea, or suggest changes – either way, we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. (Please be patient, we receive a lot of pitches every day.)
- If your outline is accepted, you will be asked to submit a draft. Your draft should include:
- Sources for any studies, data, quotes, etc. Found a great study you want to reference? Include the source. Not sure how to do a proper attribution? Check out this great post on Hubspot to learn how to do it right.
- Include 5 (relevant to your post) links in the body of your post to 5 different influencers/experts for the field you’re writing about.
- Include 2 links in the body of your post to past Firepole posts. (Remember those 2 links required in your original pitch?)
- A note on self-promotion. We know you most likely want a link, and we’re fine with that. But please, do not be self-promotional in the body of your post. (Google doesn’t like it and neither do we.) However, you are welcome to include 1 link in your author bio, as well as links to you social media accounts.
- Submit your draft as a Word file. Please include your name in all caps in the filename. Ex. MY NAME – Blog post title. Images are encouraged but not required and should be attached separately also, with attribution.
- For extra credit, read it out loud, make corrections, and add a comma wherever you take a breath. Also, while it’s not required, think of what in your post could be tweetable, a quote or short piece of advice. This helps us promote your post. And that’s good for everyone!
- Be ready to make revisions. Once we’ve seen the post, we’ll either approve it for publication, or more likely, request revisions. If we request revisions, it isn’t a rejection – we want to work with you to make sure that your post is as good as it can be. You’ve got to work with us, though – if we ask for a revision, we don’t mean for you to just add a sentence or two (we could do that ourselves while editing). Take our advice to heart, and let us help you make your post a home run. After we approve a final version, we will ask you to submit it in a particular format so that we can easily make our final pass and get it ready to go! This is a separate step from the editing process.
- Understand that we will edit your post before publication, too. It doesn’t matter how good your post is – we will still give it an editorial pass before it goes live on our blog. It’s nothing personal, just standard procedure on almost every serious blog that runs guest posts.
- Plan to be around when the post goes live. Click here to see our guest post promotion guidelines. We’ll let you know as soon as it’s been scheduled, and you’ll have plenty of notice to make sure that you’ll be available. We expect you to be around during the day, and the following day, to interact with readers in the comments.
- Do your part to spread the word. If you write a post here, you should be proud of it, and we expect you to tell your networks about it! You should also list your guest post’s URL in the “Past Contributor” section of your Google+ URL! The guest post promotion ideas above will help you get a LOT more mileage out of your post! We’ll be doing our bit to make sure your work gets in front of as many eyes as possible – together we’ll make it a massive success!
That’s all there is to it. If you have any questions, or you want to propose a post idea, go ahead and email Selene at editor (at) firepolemarketing (dot) com!